Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Candy Part I - Peppermint Bark

Over the past year, I've started to dabble in candy making. I wouldn't say I'm very good at it, but I'm working on it. As with everything, I like to try and make things that I eat at places or buy in stores. One of my favorite Christmas candies is Peppermint Bark (I'm a sucker for mint and chocolate). Last Christmas, in one of my first adventures into candy-making, I made some. While the flavors were good, I thought it could have been improved. So, I did some reading to try and eliminate the light-brown spotty look from appearing on the dark chocolate and to prevent the layers from splitting. I also used dark chocolate bars this year instead of dark chocolate chips.



Anyway, it turned out pretty well. The layers stayed together nicely, and so far the dark chocolate has kept its color (we'll see if this persists). It could have used some more peppermint flavor, though. I added some peppermint extract to the white chocolate, but I think it could have used some more.

Here's the final version:



In the next post, I will show off some candied oranges I've been making. It takes 2-3 weeks to make them, and I'm trying to perfect it. I'll let you know how it goes.

To good food . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment