Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowed in Christmas Dinner

I don't have any pictures, but last night Mrs. Real Job and I celebrated Christmas together before we head to the Midwest to see our families. There was a blizzard outside (seriously, like a 20 inch snowstorm . . . crazy), so luckily I had all the supplies. For the first time, I made Chateaubriand, using whole beef tenderloin that I picked up at the grocery store. I’ve been wanting to make it for awhile, and it was a huge success. I attribute most of it to the digital meat thermometer that I bought at Thanksgiving. I could leave the oven closed and know for sure when my meat was at a perfect medium temperature. I also improved upon the truffle-parmesan mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving (potatoes, half and half, truffle butter, truffle oil, salt, and pepper). I think I achieved the flavors from the Rouge French Fries this time. I also made a sour mash gravy with shallots, beef stock, whiskey, butter, and fresh parsley, which was excellent. I've made this before with chicken stock, and it is the best gravy I've ever had.

I forgot to take pictures of the whole event because the food was going to get cold, but I wanted to share the adventure with you. If anyone wants to know how to make Chateaubriand, it is easy. Just brown the tenderloin in a pan on the stove and roast it in the over at 350 degrees. Then, let it rest before you cut it (you must let it rest for 10 minutes). Pretty simple, and very elegant.

To good food . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment